Friday, April 5, 2013

Meriah's Intro

Hey there!

I'm Meriah. I am really excited to introduce myself to you, starting off with my background experience in the world of fitness.

 photo-90

photo-91
 
photo-92

 I grew up in NYC, and I've been active most of my life, with dancing and sports as a child, gymnastics as a young teen, I even tried judo for 1 year. And then at 16 years old, I got a personal trainer, because I was so fascinated by the gym and all the weights, but still too young to play. At the same time, I had started doing yoga classes at my local Gold's gym with a woman named Uma, a true yogi, who inspired me to really explore what my mind and body was capable of doing and feeling, through fun and engaging classes.

So, the gym was an important hobby for me when I was in high school, on top of my other commitments, like singing in the choir, killing myself in the Science Research program… (yeah, I was a bit of a nerd… but an awesome one!) And then, I went on to college. I joined a sorority and that became my new hobby - and my life. Business meetings, socializing, and partying was the priority, so my fitness sort of went down the drain. It wasn't until after graduating did I come full circle and decide that I was going to get my personal trainer certification (I thought it would be the perfect side job to teaching high school, my supposed future profession). Little did I know, not long after stepping back out onto the gym floor in my new role, I had found my calling. I fell in love with fitness again, and the opportunity to help change peoples health and lives.

However, it wasn't that easy. I soon found that my clients weren't getting the weight loss results they had hoped for and that I knew they could attain. I realized exercise alone is simply not enough. I started doing research into nutrition and enrolled for 1 year at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in July of 2011. There I learned all about *holistic* health counseling… Providing people support to make the shift to a healthier lifestyle, by learning about foods, diets - and also about their bodies, their relationships, career, spirituality, and how it all ties together - in allowing us to reach our fitness goals.

 The Integrative Nutrition Holistic "Food Pyramid"

Ironically, around that same time I had started training for my first bodybuilding competition for the "figure" and "bikini" categories. I wanted to demonstrate and inspire my clients to reach big goals. With intense workouts nearly every day, a crapload of supplements, and a diet that was low in calories, high in protein, and deficient on so many levels - I was convinced, from everyone else I knew and all the fitness magazines, that was the only way I was going to win. And so I ended up with a phenomenal body, a shiny trophy… and a whole mess of problems. But I will get into that side of it in future articles. What I chose to take from the experience was an education in serious training to accomplish major change, the dedication to stay focused on achieving, and the importance of having a team of support with me through the whole way, because there is no chance I would've been able to do it on my own.

 Figure category. Fitness America, October 2011
 
mer 2 
 Bikini category. Fitness America, October 2011

 Yup, that was me!

But approximately 1 year after my bodybuilding experience, I've come full circle once again. This time, back to my other passion: yoga. In January, I went to the Nosara Yoga Institute, in beautiful Costa Rica, with directors Amba and Don Stapleton (the old director of Kripalu). There I gained my 200-hour Interdisciplinary Yoga Teacher Training. My education covered the philosophy of yoga, as it applies to self-discovery of our deep multi-dimensional being, and also learned vinyasa, self-awakening yoga, pranayama (breathing exercises), and meditation. I was so inspired by my experience that I decided to stay for an additional training: Pranassage. Prana is simply energy - that vital life force, which is behind the sun rising, our breathing, the ocean tides, and flowers blooming. It is in us, and everything around us, and through a combination of "massage" and yoga, I can help you harness the amazing relaxation effects and get you to a feeling of pure bliss. Sounds yummy doesn't it?

mer 3
 This is what it looks like when someone is what we call "blissed out" :)

mer 4
 Client being assisted in "Downward Dog" while I am in "Scorpion" pose on her shoulders

And so now here I am writing to you… all the way from Denmark.
Um, wait, Denmark, you ask?
Well, before going to Costa Rica, I met a wonderful Danish chef, who had come all the way to NYC to run the Marathon (which was cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy) and thanks to Skype, we kept our romance going. I very recently made the big move to give things a shot over in Europe. Its crazy but you never know what amazing places life will take you, as long as you keep a positive outlook, and are open to all possibilities. That's the way I see it at least, and it works for me!

I look forward to sharing more with you in upcoming posts… look out for my next one, on "The New Definition of Fitness", where I'll give you some excellent workout tips on how to stop wasting time, and maximize your results - *guaranteed* - just ask Steph ;)

If you like what you read, feel free to check out my "Wonder Yogi" blog:
wonderyogi.wordpress.com or contact me, with questions, post suggestions, or just to chat:

Facebook: Meriah McCauley

Peace,
Light & Love,
Namaste :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Very attractive piece of information and is very helpful for girls, thanks a lot for sharing..!
    Regards, cabs in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete