Friday, April 26, 2013

Meriah's #1 Cardio Recommendation

photo-2 

Ain't that the truth. 

First things first, if you're serious about getting into shape, I strongly recommend buying a Heart Rate monitor. It tells you how much you're burning, and if you're peaking in your fat-burning zone, especially important during those cardio-focused workouts. There are all different types, but the best ones come with a wrist-watch and chest strap. Most even come with a software program so you can log your results. Its almost like having a trainer. You could use it throughout the day, like pushing yourself to get your heart rate up during a mid-day walk…. But if you're just starting out, you can go with a basic version, because they can get a little pricy. I recommend the Polar brand.
Now, as far as the best cardio machines, of course they're not the easiest, but that's what makes them so powerful, and helps you make the most of your time.

My #1 Pick:
Indoor Rowing Machine (Concept II Rower)
In addition to attaining a high level of fitness, rowing is an intense calorie-burner!
Indoor rowing primarily focuses on your cardio, with a good workout consisting of a moderate, steady 20 minutes (although a great goal is 2000 m, under 10 minutes).
But once again, *interval training* will maximize your results - because rowing also works many muscle groups throughout the entire body "anaerobically", giving you more bounce per ounce.
And - Bonus: Unlike high impact exercises, like running, which can damage your knees, rowing isn't so rough on your joints :)

How to Include the Rower in Your Fitness Routine:
On weight lifting days, I like to use the rower as a warm-up if I don't feel like running. Five minutes on the clock, or 1000 m (or 1 km), and Im ready to go do some damage.
The rower can be used in your circuit training, where you jump on for a quick 200 m, or a 45 second blast, then hop off and go for a set of push ups or KB swings.
Something fun I tried yesterday was doing a mini-triathalon, because I need to get my cardio back up. So I started with: 2 km on the treadmill, then 2 km on the rower, and finished with 5 km on the bike. Followed it up with some TRX suspension training - I haven't had such a great workout in a long time!

Remember these tips when you go for your next session, and let me know how it works for you.

In my next post, Ill get into my 2nd favorite cardio machine, a killer for burning some serious calories, while sculpting sexy legs, and a tight lifted butt… can you guess what it is?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment