Thursday, May 23, 2013

Deadlifts

The 30 day squat challenge that I posted is everywhere and social media has really taken off with showing the amazing results. An update/next step to that would be a dead lift challenge. There is a debate as to whether squats or dead lifts are better but honestly they both make for amazing results and I think they should be done in tandem. There is no way I would know what a dead lift was if it wasn't for having a trainer. Deadlifts are most known for targeting and lifting your glutes/butt/ass/cheeks but this exercise actually strengthens 6 other areas: hamstrings, upper back, lower back, shoulders, quads, and abs. There are two major types of dead lifts that I do- regular Deadlifts and Romanian Deadlifts. If you don't already do these you should try to incorporate them in every workout you do.

For Regular dead lifts or "stiff leg deadlifts" you can use a dumbbell or separate hand weights. When women are doing high reps with weights, they're limited with how much they can increase the weight but deadlifts are definitely an exercise where you can challenge yourself and really increase the weight. In these pictures I only used 20 lb weights for higher reps but when I use a dumbbell I lift a lot more.

 photo-74

Staring in a standing position hold the weights, lean forward and have the weights follow your legs down to your shins while keeping your legs as straight as possible. Then lift back up, squeezing your glutes and repeat for the appropriate amount of reps to the weight you are lifting

photo-72

Looking at this picture, my knees should honestly be less bent but my legs were so tight when I did this and I should have stretched out more before working out 

For Romanian Deadlifts, start in the same starting position but as you start to bring the weight down to your shins, bend your knees. For this type of deadlift, you should be going closer to the floor and stick your butt out more. Once again continue this for as many reps relative to the weight you are lifting

Both exercises are really simple but the results are unreal. For me, having bad knees - deadlifts are less painful than squats but like I said before you should really be doing both instead of one over the other

6 comments:

  1. can you come train me please : ) thank u!

    XO Meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha in exchange for clothes?!?! I think we could work something out girl

      XO

      Delete
  2. love your posts - mostly becuase I am fashion challenged and envy your style. Anyway, you should do a post about great/your favorite workout clothes! You always look so cute while I'm over here still rocking Flint Hill sofie shorts :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks! SO funny you say that because I have been trying to compile a list of the best spots to get workout wear... unfortunately a lot of them are expensive and I'm still looking for that hidden Gem that has the Mecca of workout gear at affordable prices :)

      Delete
  3. Nice post - Deadlifts are #1 in my book. And there are other variations like the Sumo-stance for inner thighs, and wide grip for upper back and good posture... we should plan on doing a joint article while I'm in town!

    ReplyDelete